Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Assignment 1 - Reflection 2 - Week 3

The 13th of March 2003 is an important date to remember, it's the date opponent players frantically search the updated version of the Oxford English Dictionary (online of course) and be enlightened (or frustrated) to find the word blog along with following meaning:



I have often thought about establishing a blog to share with my friends and family the adventures I have taken and projects I have started, (some never finished), but just never got around to it. That is, until I enrolled in the Graduate Diploma of Learning and Teaching. Now, I'm hooked on blogs!

Establishing a blog is a relatively simple process and with a small investment of time to consider your topic, your audience and layout/presentation you are underway. I have included the instructions here for BlogSpot. I really do stress, read the instructions and the blogger content policy carefully as an incorrect selection could cause your "Private Blog" to be viewable to anyone on the Internet, or removed from the Internet.

I personally like free blogging sites (I like anything free) when compared to a paid hosted site, although there are some limitations that do need to be taken into account when establishing a blog. If you have time and patience your blog can be customised to include a relevant background and an interesting style. I do believe, however it is the contents of your blog that will keep readers coming back and the background image/style will simply....fade away into the background.

Within your blog you have freedom to include pictures and videos, either self-created or sourced from the Internet. Links to other websites/blogs also allows your reader to further examine a topic if more clarification is required. Using any type of media/resource within your blog please remember to adhere to the copyright policies, referencing and blogging sites rules. Editing, amending or deleting the blog is a simple process even once the blog has been published.

Knowing your reader is important, what will keep your reader engaged? While readers can comment and ask questions it's impossible to respond to each comment as a discussion thread. In a blog you are portraying a one sided argument and interaction is limited. Blogs are also posted in chronological order with oldest on the bottom. Although I believe a good blog should allow the reader to be able start from any point and still understand the topic being discussed - rather than having to scroll through a number of blogs to find the starting point.

Now most of you are wondering where the scrabble reference comes in. When I was in secondary school, computers and online resources were not as readily available, so my english/geography teacher allowed us to play Scrabble as board games were very 'in'.

Mrs Robertson believed that learning could be fun and always included a game of Scrabble and it was incorporated seamlessly into the content being studied. We were encouraged play words relating to the topics, so long as we provided a brief explanation on how the word related to the topic. The game sometimes went on for over a month and was very competitive.

Did this engage me?...Yes. Did I retain the knowledge and store it in my long term memory?...Yes. Did she understand me as a learner?...Yes - most definitely and the most disruptive person was quiet and attentive (it may have been me). Brilliant behaviour management, I say.

Today I do not think the same could work. I as a teacher will need to think outside the box on ways to get the 21st Century learner to engage within my areas of teaching Accounting and Legal Studies.  

I do know for certain, it would include digital technology.... would it include a blog? To answer this, I am going to look at how blogs could be used at each of the SAMR levels:

The Substitution Augmentation Modification Redefinition Model is a method of analysing how a blog (digital technology) can impact on teaching and learning. The most important concept to remember is the level of student engagement, ability to transform learning experiences and achieve higher learning gains.


SAMR

SUBSTITUTION:  In the classroom - Assignment
Use a blog as a replacement for handwritten/typed then printed assignment. The comment function would be turned off. The blog has acted as a direct substitute, with no functional change.

AUGMENTATION:   In the classroom - Assignment
I would use a blog for both students and parents. They can subscribe by email to receive classroom updates, lesson plans and homework assignments. 

Students would also use blogs to create assignments that include embedded videos, hyperlinks and audio to enhance their written work. I would allow the students to review their peers work and recommend them to leave constructive, supportive comments after the assignment has been completed.  The blog has acted as a direct tool substitute, with functional improvement.

MODIFICATION: In the classroom - Assignment
I would set assignments and review the students work while they are in the progress, I would also allow students to comment on each other's work. Students would include hyperlinked writing to connect and evidence their thinking to the topic enhancing their understanding. This is evidence of non-linear writing. The blog has allowed for significant task redesign.

REDEFINITION:  In the classroom: - Current legal issue featuring heavily in the media. I would like to tailor lesson plans with the curriculum based on updates, court transcripts and media releases. 

The blog becomes an extension of communication by reflecting on content, sharing resources and receiving feedback. It becomes a documented evidence of learning. The blog becomes an extension of the classroom environment and is used for students to share how conclusions are reached or additional materials that helped them understand a topic with peers.  

The blog can be continually updated with the student's notes and real life examples and in essence becomes a revision page in preparation for an exam.   The blog has allowed for the creation of new tasks.

Would I include a blog into the classroom? Yes, however, I will also be considering if I could trust the students to respect the schools policies in relation to internet and behaviour.   
I should know my learners and trust that they respect the rules before undertaking any digital activity. I would ensure that I continually monitor the content for any breaches and act promptly when the guidelines are ignored. Furthermore, it is undeniable that "blogging requires higher-order thinking skills such as the ability to evaluate and synthesise"  (Hourigan, 2010)

Overall, blogs can be used as a digital tool to engage students. I have created a wikispace where I have utilised the thinking tool of a PMI to see what the Positive, Minus and Interesting points of a blog are, please join the discussion and add to the list. I will be interested to see your thoughts, and a learning curve for me as the account has no restrictions on who can post....Mistake as a teacher?... Let's see.

Enjoying the journey getting to know your learner?
JRay.


FURTHER EVIDENCE TO INTRODUCE A BLOG AS A LEARNING TOOL:
Using blogs to help language students to develop reflective learning strategies: Towards a pedagogical framework. Link 


REFERENCES:

All Images:  Google Source

Collins Oxford Dictionary.  Accessed 20/03/2015.  Retrieved from:
http://public.oed.com/the-oed-today/recent-updates-to-the-oed/previous-updates/march-2003-update/#oos

Hourigan, T., Murray, L. (2010) Using blogs to help language students to develop reflective learning strategies: Towards a pedagogical framework. Australasian Journal of Educational Technology: v26 no. 2 (2010). Accessed 20/03/2015.  Retrieved from:
http://ascilite.org.au/ajet/submission/index.php/AJET/article/view/1091

Working legally, safely and ethically online:  the issues.  Accessed 21/03/2015. Retrieved from:
https://moodle.cqu.edu.au/mod/page/view.php?id=15620

What is a blog?, how is it used? Accessed 22/03/2015. Retrieved from:
https://moodle.cqu.edu.au/mod/page/view.php?id=15628


2 comments:

  1. Hi Janita, I'm also a bit tentative about how students will exercise their cyber freedoms! I do think that the benefits and learning opportunities are too great to ignore though. The thinking hats activity last week really had me turn around my previously held convictions - I would have been a big 'NO' advocate before this. However, I kind of convinced myself that, considering these kids are headed toward adulthood and some pretty big responsibilities, we should really be helping them by modelling the right rules and policies that allow them to begin exercising their decision making for good. I am not so blindly optimistic about it to be aware that there are plenty of potential opportunities for issues to arise. It will be interesting to see what the actual level of ICT use is when we get to our prac schools.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I find your blog writing style very engaging.

    ReplyDelete